For the Bread:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon apple pie spice (see note below)
3/4 cup apple butter
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
For the Syrup:
1/3 cup freshly apple cider or apple juice
1/3 cup sugar
For the Glaze:
1 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and apple pie spice; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the apple butter, brown sugar, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs (one at a time). Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 65 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
5. While the loaf is cooling, make the syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the apple cider or apple juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
6. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the syrup. Let the syrup soak into the bread and brush again. Let the bread cool completely.
7. To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the apple cider or apple juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another tablespoon of apple cider or apple juice if the mixture is too stiff. Pour the glaze over the top of the loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.
To substitute Apple Pie Spice use 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon allspice, and dash cloves or ginger
Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts if desired