One of the greatest things about natural DIY products is that many of them have multiple uses. This is rarely the case with store-bought products.
Example: Would you ever use your store-bought deodorant as an exfoliating scrub for your face, and also as a sticker remover? Probably not. BUT – when you make your own products out of all-natural ingredients, you have more options for using them in different applications.
I had a homemade deodorant mixture of coconut oil and baking soda that was a little heavy on the baking soda, making it too strong for my underarms. But I can’t stand to let things go to waste, so I kept it in the cupboard and found other uses for it (like gently exfoliating my face). After coming across this article, I knew I could also be using it to get pesky labels off jars, or price tags off new purchases.
It might seem a little counterintuitive to get sticky, gummy labels off with oil, but it really works like a charm! In the past I had tried using straight orange essential oil to get stickers off things. Sweet orange oil has wonderful de-greasing power when used for cleaning or beauty, but it didn’t always work for gummy, stuck-on labels. I had also tried plain baking soda, along with lots of elbow grease, and I just wasn’t happy with the results. Well, what do you know…the combination of baking soda and a little oil makes labels and stickers slide right off.
Homemade Goo Gone
• 2 parts baking soda (find it here)
• 1 part coconut oil – I used expeller pressed (unscented) for this purpose (find it here)
• a few drops sweet orange essential oil, for extra de-greasing power and scent (find 100% pure sweet orange EO here)
1. Remove as much of the label or sticker as you can before beginning. Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mash together with a spoon or small spatula until it forms a thick paste.
2. Apply homemade goop remover with fingers or a cloth, rubbing it in until label/sticker is completely gone.
3. Wash with warm water and soap to remove any leftover goop or oil.
Voila! Label gone. (Just so you know how well this stuff works…I couldn’t tell where the label had been when I went to take the “after” picture. I think I showed you the wrong side – ha!)
The best part – I don’t have to recycle glass containers just because I’m dreading the hassle of removing the labels. Now…if I could only find more space to keep my glass jar hoard.
Oh, and if you have leftover “goop remover,” just put it in a sealed container and label it for later use.
Hint: it makes a fabulous moisturizing facial exfoliant! With the addition of sweet orange essential oil, it’s perfect for oily skin.