If the mucocele is small, it is usually painless. However, larger cysts can cause some pain. Oral cysts can even be painful to direct touch. Shallow mucoceles may burst and release straw-colored fluid. Deeper ones can last longer.
Poor dental hygiene as well as the habit of lip or cheek biting due to stress can put you at higher risk for developing mucous cysts.
A mucous cyst can cause a lot of discomfort, as it may get in the way of chewing, speaking and swallowing. These cysts are usually rounded in shape, bluish or whitish in color and are characterized a raised swelling.
Before trying any remedies, you should always have any mouth cyst checked out by a doctor to rule out more serious conditions.
Honey is one of the best remedies to treat a mucocele. The soothing and anti-inflammatory nature of honey can help relieve the pain and inflammation.
Its antibacterial properties help prevent infection and also accelerate the healing process.
• Mix together 1 teaspoon of raw honey and ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, gargle with lukewarm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day. Also, apply honey on the affected area before going to sleep every night.
• Simply applying manuka honey on the affected area a few times a day will also help in healing a mucous cyst within a few weeks.
A mucocele can be effectively treated using salt. Salt has many healing properties that help treat the problem.
It helps remove all the mucus from the mucocele fast and reduces pain and inflammation in the area.
1. Thoroughly mix ½ tablespoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water.
2. Use the solution as a mouthwash.
3. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day.
Ice can numb the pain and irritation associated with large oral cysts. This makes ice one of the most effective remedies to treat a mucocele.
• Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin washcloth. Gently place it on the affected area for 1 minute to get relief. Repeat a few times a day.
• Also, you can sip cold water from time to time to ease the discomfort.
4. Moist Tea Bag
Moist tea bags can be used to cure a mucocele.
Tea contains tannic acid, a kind of astringent that helps reduce pain and inflammation and speeds up the healing process.
1. After steeping a cup of tea using a tea bag, chill the bag in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Gently press the chilled, wet tea bag over the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Do this 2 or 3 times a day until the oral cyst is gone.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is also effective in treating mucoceles. It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that can help ease the pain and get rid of the cyst quickly.
It helps in bursting the cyst as well as prevents the recurrence of such cysts.
• Extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf. Apply it directly on the affected area. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes, then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Use this remedy a few times daily for several days.
• You can also rinse your mouth with fresh aloe vera juice 3 or 4 times a day.
Turmeric has strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, hence it can be used to treat several common problems, including mucoceles.
• Start with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and add some milk to make a paste. Using a cotton ball, apply the paste on the affected area. Wait 30 minutes, then rinse your mouth using lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a day.
• You can also apply fresh turmeric juice directly on the affected area 2 or 3 times daily for several days.
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil is also one of the effective and natural home remedies to treat mucoceles.
It has high anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with large mucoceles. It also keeps the area moisturized and prevents irritation due to dryness.
1. Mix together equal amounts of castor oil and honey.
2. Using a cotton ball, apply this solution on the affected area.
3. Leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
4. Use this remedy 2 or 3 times a day for best results.
You can also use evening primrose oil on the affected area. Simply soak a cotton ball in the oil, place it on the affected area and then leave it on overnight. Rinse your mouth the next morning. It will help soften and heal a mucous cyst in your mouth. Do this daily for a few weeks or until the cyst disappears.